Header Ads

Jurgen Klopp’s feisty defence of Liverpool midfield after PSG defeat

jordan henderson jurgen klopp

Jurgen Klopp has rejected the idea that his midfield is in crisis after Paris Saint-Germain successfully stifled the Reds in Paris during a Champions League clash on Wednesday.

After an uninspired performance from the Reds midweek, concerns have been raised over a complete lack of invention or creativity in midfield, with many supporters coming to the conclusion that a midfield three of Georginio Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson and James Milner lacks any kind of real spark.

This midfield trio came up against a dynamic and inventive midfield three of Marco Verratti, Marquinhos and Angel Di Maria. Although the former should have seen red for an appalling challenge on Joe Gomez, there is no denying PSG midfield was effective.

Something the Liverpool engine room failed to imitate.

READ: Daniel Sturridge given more time to respond to FA gambling charges

PARIS, FRANCE – Wednesday, November 28, 2018: Marco Verratti of PSG tackles Liverpool’s Joe Gomez dangerously during the Champions League match between Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool FC at the Parc de Princes, Paris. (Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

READ: Klopp must start Naby Keita against Everton, says Jamie Carragher

During a press conference, a reporter suggested that the current state of the midfield is cause for concern, prompting Klopp to surprisingly respond: “Not as controlled? We’ve conceded five [league] goals and you talk about our midfield is overrun.

“Sorry, I didn’t see that, I heard about that. Yes, we could’ve scored more goals, creativity. No, I don’t see any problems in midfield.”

When asked if Keita and Fabinho are ready for the intensity of a Merseyside Derby, he replied: “Yeah, absolutely. The players had the whole week together. Most of the time, they talk to each other so they all know about it.

“He [Jordan Henderson – suspension] is not available so what should I do? Ask the FA or what? I thought that I should choose a team where I think they are ready, to be honest.

jurgen klopp

“I really don’t get a lot of your questions today but, sorry, maybe you are not happy with my answers. I don’t understand it, why should I think about that?

“Are they ready? We will see! We have to prove it. If I would say now, ‘I think we have a real problem with that, I don’t think we have enough time to make them ready for a derby’, what kind of idiot would I be?

“Ask a question where the answer is not clear on a plate. You ask a question, I say, ‘Yes, I think they are ready, but we have to prove it on Sunday’.”

The post Jurgen Klopp’s feisty defence of Liverpool midfield after PSG defeat appeared first on AnfieldHQ.



Source: anfieldhq.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.