Header Ads

Slot: “I Saw Intensity, I Saw Sharpness”

Manchester United v Liverpool FC - Pre-Season Friendly
Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Arne Slot gives his final verdict on his team’s US pre-season tour.

Liverpool have returned home to Merseyside and welcomed back all of their wayward players who have trickled in after completing their various international duties. Sunday will be their first match at Anfield and with a full squad. They’re planning to extend their pre-season winning streak against Sevilla.

Before the game, Slot prepared his first game day programme and gave his verdict on the Reds’ performances on the pre-season tour in the great US metropolises of Pennsylvania and Ohio.

“Of course, people will naturally look towards the results we had in our friendly matches, and it is true that we enjoyed some good wins against some strong opponents, from which we can take a lot of positives for sure,” Slot said.

“I saw intensity, I saw sharpness and I saw an understanding of the way we want to play – and, of course, to beat both Arsenal and Manchester United, two of our rivals in the Premier League, will never be a bad thing either.

“But I also have high standards, and while I saw lots of things I liked from the team in the USA, I am aware too that there are many areas in which we can, and must, improve and develop. The players know that too – they also have high standards – and I expect to see that improvement in the coming days and weeks, hopefully starting [on Sunday].”

Three straight victories are all positives as he looks forward to the beginning of his first season as Liverpool head coach. And speaking of his first season with Liverpool, Slot will check off another first on Sunday when Liverpool play their first match at Anfield.

On the famous Anfield atmosphere, Slot said, “As you know, I have already been fortunate enough to experience the Anfield atmosphere as a spectator previously, but this will be my first taste of it as Liverpool’s head coach and I am looking forward to seeing – and hearing! – you all. I know you will give my players, my staff and myself all of your support going forward.”

Despite that this will only be a friendly, there’s no doubt that the Kop will be in full force, welcoming the new boss into the job.

There are two more pre-season games left before the start of the season next week against Ipswich Town.



Source: liverpooloffside.sbnation.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.