Header Ads

Raheem Sterling reflects on his time at Liverpool

Raheem Sterling has written an article for The Players’ Tribune which looks into a number of challenges he’s had to face in his life.

He wrote about his time at Liverpool, and it certainly is a compelling read.

Liverpool was Sterling’s home for five years where he made 129 appearances for the club. Then he made the move to Manchester City in 2015 in a £49million deal – a move which didn’t go down well with the Anfield faithful.

Many supporters of Liverpool these days don’t have anything good to say about the Englishman, but he does speak highly of the club in his article.

“But the real turning point came when I was 15. Liverpool wanted me, but it was three hours away from home. And I’ll never forget sitting my mum down and telling her that I wanted to go. I love all my friends from my neighborhood. They’re still my best friends in the world. But at that time, there was a lot of crime and stabbings going on, and I felt like Liverpool was a chance for me to go away and just focus on football,” wrote Sterling.

READ: Henderson backs Oxlade-Chamberlain to be better than ever

during the UEFA Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg match between Manchester City and Liverpool at Etihad Stadium on April 10, 2018 in Manchester, England.

READ: Emre Can’s farewell message

“For two years, I went ghost. You can ask my friends. When we had a day off, I’d come back to London on the train for a day to see my mum, and then it was back to Liverpool. I was shut down from the world. Just building myself up as a footballer. The club had me living with this older couple. They were in their 70s, and they really treated me like their own grandson. Every morning, I’d come down, and they’d have a bacon butty waiting for me. It was unbelievable. Beautiful garden out back. All these flowers, trees. It was like a different world.

“That was probably the most important time of my life. My whole mission was to get a proper contract so that my mother and sister didn’t have to stress anymore. The day that I bought my mum a house, that was probably the happiest I’ve ever been.”

Sterling also went on to say that his daughter, Melody Rose, still supports Liverpool despite her fathers move to Manchester City.

Sterling wrote: “So the other day, my daughter’s running round the house singing a little song. And her dad had just won the league with City. Just got 100 points in the league, actually. Does she care?

“Haaaaa! Mate, she don’t give two Scooby-Doos about Manchester City. She’s Liverpool through and through.

“So she’s running through the halls — and I swear to God she runs exactly like her dad. Chest puffed way out, back arched, hand flapping about a bit. She’s running through the halls like Raheem Sterling, and you know what she’s singing?

“Mo Salah! Mo Salah! Mo Salah! Runnin’ down the wing! Salahhhhh la la la la la la la! Egyptian king!

“Can you believe that? Cold-blooded, mate.”

The post Raheem Sterling reflects on his time at Liverpool appeared first on AnfieldHQ.



Source: anfieldhq.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.