Header Ads

Henderson cites his father’s influence in journey to Champions League glory

Jordan Henderson claimed that “sometimes dreams can come true” after skippering Liverpool to their first Champions League final victory since 2005, citing his father as the main support in his journey so far.

Brian Henderson was diagnosed with throat cancer six years ago but kept his condition secret in order to avoid negatively impacting his son’s footballing career. Once revealing his illness became unavoidable, Brian asked his son not to visit him so he wouldn’t cause distraction.

However, the sight of Jordan embracing his father after lifting the Champions League trophy in Madrid will now go down as one of the most iconic and emotional moments of the 2019 final.

READ: Jurgen Klopp set for new deal after Champions League victory

READ: Werner: Klopp can stay at Liverpool as long as he likes

“My dad has been through a lot over the past few years, not only with himself but with his family,” Henderson said.

“I am sure he will be so proud to see us win the game and win the Champions League. It will mean the world to him. I am just glad I can put a smile on his face.

“It’s obviously emotional. We (Liverpool) have come a long way as a team and we have had so many knockbacks and to finally get over the line it is an amazing feeling and one that we will remember forever. It’s so special.’

Brian Henderson also revealed after the match that his son once made him a big promise at the Champions League final between AC Milan and Juventus in 2003.

“And when they came out to the Champions League music he said ‘Dad, I’m going to play there (the final) one day’. Not only once but twice and now he’s won one,” he said.

“It’s just very emotional. The tears come, you start shaking, you grab the wife, you grab the daughter-in-law, you grab anybody that’s around you! I’m just so happy.”

Jordan added: “It was nice to know we have come back from so many disappointments, and finally get over the line and won a big trophy.

“It is an amazing night and hopefully we can use this to win more in the future, it gives us confidence to know we can win the Champions League and together we can move forward and hopefully win more trophies as well.

“It means everything to me, football, and I just try to give my best and help my team. I’ve been through tough times and it’s been difficult over my career but I kept going just like this team has kept going and you have moments like this. This is what you do it for, this is the best moment in my life apart from my children. It’s what I have dream of since I was a kid.”

The Liverpool captain summed up his emotions after the Reds’ arrived back on Merseyside by tweeting: “Sometimes dreams can come true.”

The post Henderson cites his father’s influence in journey to Champions League glory appeared first on AnfieldHQ.



Source: anfieldhq.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.