Header Ads

Quansah: “I Have to Be One of the Best Centre Halves in Europe to Start”

Liverpool Training Session
Photo by Nikki Dyer - LFC/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Liverpool defender Jarell Quansah has taken his second half benching against Ipswich Town in stride.

Jarell Quansah was Liverpool’s breakout young star of the 2023-24 season and after an impressive pre-season under new head coach Arne Slot, the 21-year-old centre half started the first match of the season alongside captain Virgil van Dijk.

Unfortunately for the youngster, the seeming confirmation of his elevation to first choice pairing only lasted for a half. He was taken off at the break in favour of Ibrahima Konaté, a move that saw the Reds’ quality of play improve and helped them win the game.

“It’s a long season and I have the whole season to prove myself,” Quansah said, reflecting on the situation following his man of the match performance for England’s U21s against Northern Ireland “It’s given me a kick up the backside, you could say.

“I’ll keep grafting on the training pitch and that’s all it is. It’s never a nice feeling as a footballer to be subbed off at half-time but the next day [Slot] pulled me in and went through his mindset and why he made the decision, ultimately.

“I think the reasons he gave were fair enough. It obviously worked because we won, so I can only focus on myself and move on to the next game. I’m ready for whenever [my chance] comes. I’ll have to be one of the best centre halves in Europe if I’m starting.”

The switch might have felt harsh at the time for a young player who was such a standout last season, but if Liverpool go deep in multiple competitions they could easily hit the 60 game mark this year. Quansah’s chances, then, will surely come.



Source: liverpooloffside.sbnation.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.