Reds fan who battled cancer to see Champions League victory passes away
Liverpool supporter Dave Evans, who fought hard against terminal cancer to see the Reds win the Champions League trophy, has passed away.
Mr Evans had set aside £10,000 to travel to Madrid to watch Jurgen Klopp’s side take on Tottenham in the final.
But just weeks after moving to New Zealand with his wife Liz, he was diagnosed with the terminal illness and given only two weeks to live.
READ: Liverpool “keen to reward” midfielder with new deal
READ: Joe Gomez on Liverpool’s motivation and the “need to stay hungry”
However, Mr Evans battled on and outlived his doctor’s prediction to see Liverpool lift the European Cup for the sixth time in their history.
He died peacefully this morning in a hospice in New Zealand.
“I want him to have a legacy and for other people to have positivity when they are going through a tough time,” said wife Liz, as quoted by the Echo.
“We are planning to set up a charity which would raise money to give people who are terminally ill the chance to tick a sporting event off their bucket list.
“We are in the early stages but I want Dave to have a legacy.”
Jurgen Klopp had sent Mr Evans a video message prior to the final, saying: “I’ve heard about your story, I’ve heard you are an unbelievable fighter, and the only thing I can tell you is we think of you, you are really with us.”
Vice-captain James Milner echoed his manager’s sentiment, saying: “I hear you’re not going to make it to Madrid unfortunately and know you’ll be supporting us from home and we’ll do everything we can to do our job and finish the job and hopefully win a trophy and just wanted to send my best wishes to you and the family.”
The post Reds fan who battled cancer to see Champions League victory passes away appeared first on AnfieldHQ.
Source: anfieldhq.com

Post a Comment