Header Ads

Mignolet to assess his future after the World Cup

Simon Mignolet will hold talks with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp after the World Cup, with the Belgian almost certain to depart the club this summer.

Mignolet edged the battle with Loris Karius for the no.1 spot during the first half of last season, but a series of unconvincing performances, culminating in a costly error away at Arsenal, prompted Klopp to change his stance.

The boss threw all his backing behind Karius, relegating Mignolet to the role of unused deputy for the final four months of the season.

Mignolet has failed to win over the majority of supporters since his arrival from Sunderland in 2013 and now looks to be heading for the exit door in search of more regular football.

READ: Grujic urged to join Lazio by Milinkovic-Savic

LEICESTER, ENGLAND – Saturday, September 23, 2017: Liverpool’s goalkeeper Simon Mignolet celebrates after the 3-2 victory, in which he saved a penalty, during the FA Premier League match between Leicester City and Liverpool at the King Power Stadium. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

READ: Jan Oblak provides update on his future 

He is currently on World Cup duty with Belgium, ready to be called upon should Thibaut Courtois sustain an injury.

The 30-year-old remains tight-lipped about his future, but says he will ponder his next move after the tournament.

“I am going to look at my situation when I come back from the World Cup,” he revealed.

“I didn’t play in the last few months at Liverpool, so after the World Cup I will look at everything. I can’t say much more. I don’t know how long I will have off after the tournament. I need to speak to the manager about that.”

Mignolet claims he has had very little contact with the club in recent times as he devotes himself to his international commitments.

“At this moment I have not been speaking to anyone at Liverpool because I have been trying to focus on Belgium,” he said.

“John Achterberg [Liverpool’s goalkeeping coach] sends me a text before every game, to see how I am and if I am fit, so I keep in touch with him.”

It is believed that Klopp is willing to promote Danny Ward to the no. 2 rule if, or indeed when, Mignolet moves on.

The post Mignolet to assess his future after the World Cup appeared first on AnfieldHQ.



Source: anfieldhq.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.