Header Ads

Alberto Moreno: I Need to be Ready to Take My Chance

In an interview, Albi spoke about the embracing competition and a team mentality.

It’s hard not to love Alberto Moreno. Well, as a person at least. His footballing career on Merseyside has a bit touch and go, with more lows so far, than highs. Regardless, he always seems to have a smile on his face, and seems to be well liked his his teammates at Liverpool.

At the start of last season, Moreno surprised critics by putting in some strong, early season performances, winning back his spot after being bombed out in favor of not-a-leftback James Milner. The Morenaissance was on. Unfortunately, a disastrous few minutes against his former and boyhood club Sevilla in the Champions League, plus an injury, conspired to derail the Morenaissance, leading to the rise of Kop favorite Andy Robertson.

Many expected Moreno to move on this summer (as in the summer before), but he once again remained a Red through the end of the transfer window. He knows how quickly fortunes can change, and he wants to be part of this Liverpool vintage, trying to impress and win back his spot.

“No player likes to be sat on the bench or out of the squad, but then it motivates you to keep working hard and battling for your place, and that’s what I’m doing every day,” the Spaniard told the official website.

“We are professionals and we work hard each day to be completely prepared and if the manager gives me a chance I’ll give my best, and not just me, but all of my teammates who go out onto the pitch – we’ll all try to do our best.

“Since I’ve been here we’ve had some really strong squads, but this is the most complete and the biggest. We have a lot of players who are all top quality, and I think that helps the team to perform as they are doing.”

In building this squad, manager Jurgen Klopp has instilled a real “next man up” mentality. Everyone who is at the club—even as a reserve—is there because the boss knows they can come in and do a job.

Since being displaced my Robertson, Klopp has frequently gone out of his way to mention Moreno’s efforts in training. And of course, all it takes is a suspension or an injury to make Moreno the main man in the position.

“I need to be ready because I never know when my chance will come, so I need to be fit in case something happens.

“That’s what we work for and why we are professional footballers, to be at 100 per cent throughout the whole season. But it’s true that, not just Andy, the whole team are in unbelievable form and I think we need to make the most of this form we are all in and keep moving forward.”

Hopefully Moreno puts in a hell of a performance against Chelsea, and continues raising questions for Klopp and his staff.



Source: liverpooloffside.sbnation.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.