Header Ads

Virgil Van Dijk: More Excitement Than Nerves

Van Dijk looks ahead to the Champions League final.

If there’s anyone on Earth that this author believes when he says that he’s not nervous about the biggest game of his life, it’s Virgil van Dijk. Have you seen the guy? He’s sculpted like a God, and manages to keep his cool in even the most high pressure situations.

I’m getting sweaty just thinking about watching this game next week, but van Dijk remains unflappable in the face of their second Champions League final.

This game represents a lot of things: the chance to right the wrongs of last season’s defeat against Real Madrid. A win would also prove that Liverpool under Klopp finally have emerged as the European force they’ve been threatening to be for the past three years. And it’s the last opportunity the team has to earn some silverware in this otherwise stellar season.

But van Dijk’s pretty chill about the whole endeavour.

“It’s more excitement than nerves these days,” he said. “Even before the Champions League final last year I was not nervous at all. I was very relaxed. I was like: ‘Let’s go, let’s do this.’

“I don’t know what it is. It’s just something I’ve learned over the years and it’s something I’m very happy about. If you’re nervous you think: ‘I don’t want to make mistakes or give the ball away.’ But you limit your own qualities then.

“Over the years I’ve developed the mindset that there are many more important things in life.”

I can only assume that the more important thing in live he’s referring to is the Premier League title. There’s always next year, Virgil.

It’s one week until the big game, and as we count down to our destiny, let’s all try to be more like van Dijk. Come to think of it, that’s just good life advice generally.



Source: liverpooloffside.sbnation.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.