Header Ads

Digging Deeper: Liverpool Win the Champions League

In Madrid we won it six times.

Liverpool Football Club are champions of Europe for the sixth time. Did you read that? Liverpool—our Reds—have lifted the European Cup for the sixth time. I have no words for this, and yet I sit here with the monumental task of describing what happened. Typically for these Digging Deeper posts are reserved for making sense of the game, pointing out key moments, and/or standout performances. I’m going to be honest with you, reader, I am not in an emotional state to do that. And quite frankly, I don’t think any of us are. Instead, I want to discuss this moment. What is football without the moments?

It wasn’t a good game, the pundits will be quick to say. You know what? Who gives a flying fuck. There’s this quote that’s floated around my brain for a long time, and I’ve seen it attributed to probably half of a dozen football players or manager. The quote goes something like this, “You don’t play finals. You win them.” That is exactly what Liverpool did against Tottenham. Liverpool won that match inside of thirty seconds. I know that Mo Salah didn’t end up taking the penalty until like the 2nd minute or something, but as soon as Moussa Sissoko handled that ball, it was over. A lot will be said about Liverpool’s approach in that match. And trust me, it will be a lot. But they kept Tottenham at arms length the entire time. You play the game in front of you, and that’s exactly what this Liverpool team did.

So, that’s enough of the technical football mumbo jumbo. Didn’t think I had it in me, to be honest. But I grafted and managed a whole paragraph on the actual game. To be honest, I was thinking about Liverpool lifting the European Cup for the sixth time. Did you know that Liverpool are just the third team to do that? Pretty cool.

I can’t stop thinking about how proud I am of this team. There is not a gang of lads that I would rather see be champions of Europe than this group. Every single one of them has faced adversity in the face and has become a conquerer of the impossible. Andy Robertson, who just seven years ago sent out a tweet complaining about how broke he was, is now a European champion. Jordan Brian Henderson is the captain of a European Cup winning side. There’s no words to describe what it means to see Hendo lift the cup. For Jurgen Klopp, the manager that everyone has doubted the ability to drag a team over the line, it means so much to see him lift the trophy. For Trent Alexander-Arnold, the scouser in our team. For Virgil van Dijk, the best defender in the world. For Mo Salah, the man who was subbed off crying against Real Madrid. For them all.

You may or may not have read what I wrote about what this final means to me. If you want to go back you can read it here. I’ve been to Liverpool a grand total of one (1) time in my entire life and that was in March. But I have an undeniable connection to this team and this city. I’m a mess. I can’t complete a coherent thought. All I know is that Liverpool are the European Cup champions for the sixth time.

Let’s talk about Six, baby.



Source: liverpooloffside.sbnation.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.