Header Ads

Official: Liverpool Women Sign Olivia Smith for Record Fee

Paraguay v Canada: Group C - 2024 Concacaf W Gold Cup
Photo by Omar Vega/Getty Images

Liverpool have sent a signal of intent on the women’s side, signing Canada and Sporting 19-year-old forward Olivia Smith for a club record fee.

Last season, Liverpool Women took a major step forward and ended the season in fourth place in the FA Women’s Super League while putting pressure on established perennial powers Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester City.

Along with success on the pitch there were signs that after a fallow period, the club was willing to finally invest in the women’s side and the question at season’s end was whether there would be a determination to kick on.

Today, they completed the record signing of 19-year-old Canadian international and Sporting CP forward Olivia Smith, signing one of the women’s game’s top young talents in a serious statement of intent for the club.

“I absolutely love it and I’m super-excited,” Smith said on her unveiling. “It’s a prestigious club as a whole and also for my dad it’s very important for him—this is the club he’s been watching and following since he was younger.

“So, it’s very cool to actually be a part of this thing and get this opportunity. I think it’s super-exciting because we have such a young team and [last] season they were amazing. I’m excited to be a part of a squad like this.”

Smith, who has already earned 19 senior caps for Canada’s national team, moved to Portugal with Sporting CP just last summer. She tallied 16 goals in total 28 appearances for the Campeonato Nacional Feminino side.

Her £210k signing more than double’s the club’s previous record signing on the women’s side of Sophie Roman Huag from Roma last summer for £100k, and she admitted that her goal with Liverpool is to play in Europe.

“I definitely feel like I can contribute to the players and the team,” she added. “As a person but also as a player, pushing for that Champions League spot for next year. I think the biggest thing for me is, ‘Where can I grow?’

“That comes down to the staff, and I think Matt [Beard] has proved that he’s definitely someone who can help me grow. Having come here after my first pro season is unbelievable and I’m very excited to learn and grow.”



Source: liverpooloffside.sbnation.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.