Header Ads

Oxlade-Chamberlain staying positive during injury lay-off

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has admitted it was extremely tough to watch his Liverpool team-mates fall at the final hurdle in the Champions League but remains in optimistic mood as he recovers from a knee ligament injury.

Oxlade-Chamberlain’s promising first season at Anfield was brought to a premature end when he sustained the serious injury in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final against Roma.

The Englishman could only watch from the sidelines as his side’s extraordinary European run ended with an agonising 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid in Kiev.

He was, of course, left heartbroken by the outcome but was keen to emphasise his pride at their achievement.

“The Champions League final was obviously devastating to miss,” he told Talksport. “The final whistle in that game, when we obviously didn’t win, all this emotion was rushing over me and it was something I’ve never really experienced before.

“I was in tears on the pitch and I am not a crier at all, but I think I was sort of clinging on to that for the lads and for Liverpool, for the club. I know how much everyone wanted it, and myself as well.”

READ: Danny Ings seeking move away from Liverpool

READ: Mohamed Salah may quit international football

“When you get injured en route to something special, you’d hope it ends out in the right way so it was all worthwhile.

“Seeing the boys putting in the performances leading up to that and even in the final, I was so proud of them all and it’s just a shame we couldn’t get that one over the line.

“But I am positive and moving forward, so I am all good.”

The former Arsenal man was also set to play a key role for his country at this summer’s World Cup, only for the injury to scupper his chances.

He finds himself watching events in Russia on the television, and while he was desperately disappointed to miss out, he remains in good spirits.

“I’ve been watching, following it and supporting the boys every inch of the way,” the 24-year-old said.

“I must admit the first game [against Tunisia] was tough to watch. It’s obviously a moment when you realise what a great opportunity you’re missing. But these things happen in life and I am keeping positive.”

The post Oxlade-Chamberlain staying positive during injury lay-off appeared first on AnfieldHQ.



Source: anfieldhq.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.