Header Ads

Liverpool’s Andy Robertson “Pain Free for First Time in Five Months”

Ipswich Town FC v Liverpool FC - Premier League
Photo by Marc Atkins/Getty Images

Robertson suffered an ankle injury in March and played with significant pain through this summer’s Euros.

For most of the Jürgen Klopp era, Andy Robertson’s presence in the starting eleven was nigh on omnipresent, the Scottish left back providing a durably energetic presence for a Liverpool side that won everything on offer.

In March while on international duty, though, Robertson picked up an ankle injury that set back his performances for the reminder of the season. What outside the club few knew at the time was that the setback ran longer than even that.

Robertson opened up about his struggles with fitness in 2024 this week, touching on the challenge of playing at this summer’s Euros and then making a delayed return to training at Liverpool under new manager Arne Slot.

“I was playing in pain from March onwards and obviously it was a really important time for the club and then a really important time for my country,” Robertson noted. “I hoped that the three weeks off would have settled things down.

“It didn’t and I needed a wee bit longer. I managed to get my fitness up to a really good level in terms of not being with the team, which was hugely frustrating, [but] I knew that would put me in the best possible shape.”

That late return meant he didn’t finish Saturday’s 2-0 Premier League opening day win over Ipswich, but he did last 79 minutes before being replaced by Kostas Tsimikas and says for the first time since the injury he’s playing pain free.

“Obviously coming off towards the end, I started to get a little bit tired, but I felt good,” the Reds’ left back added. “I feel good. I am pain free for the first time in five months, which is always positive, so long may it continue.”



Source: liverpooloffside.sbnation.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.