“I look at what I think is the best for my career, where I can develop the best, where I can make the most playing minutes. On that I base my choice,” De Ligt said recently.

“Where do I see myself? Well obviously the Premier League is a big competition, Spain also, but you have other competitions. It’s not just about those two.

“I still don’t know anything about where my future is, so I’ll see how it goes. First we have to play two games and after that I will see what happens next.

“Of course there is some interest from clubs, but I don’t want to say some names who are interested.

“But what I will say is I am now focused on the national team and after the national team I will see what the future brings.

“I don’t really have a dream club outside of Ajax. It was always my dream to play at Ajax. I succeeded and I’m happy about that.”